Monday, January 30, 2012

Sweet and Smoky Baked Beans

Baked beans have always been a favorite of mine.  I like them really thick, almost burnt. A few weeks ago, I was having a craving for them, and instead of opening up a can and throwing them in the oven, as I usually do, I thought why not just make them myself? I just took a little of this and a little of that, things I had in the pantry, threw it all in a pot, and voila, delicious baked beans (even though, technically, I made them on the stove, not in the oven).  Anyways, I think these are way better than the canned stuff. I added a little barbeque sauce for tanginess, liquid smoke for smokiness, and agave for sweetness.  Everything just blended together into a plate of these delicious southern style beans.

What You Will Need:
1/2 large onion, diced
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 15 oz cans kidney beans
1 6 oz can tomato paste (I go with sodium free)
1/2 cup vegetable broth (low sodium)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon worcestershire (vegan, regular has anchovies)
2 tablespoons BBQ sauce (I use Organicville)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce (depends on how hot you like it)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 tablespoon agave nectar


  1. In a large pot, saute the onion in the oil until the onion is cooked, and becomes translucent. 
  2. Add the kidney beans, tomato sauce, vegetable broth, worcestershire, BBQ sauce, garlic powder, hot sauce, salt, and pepper.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes.  The beans will thicken as they cook.
  3. Remove from heat and add the liquid smoke and agave nectar.  Let them sit 5 to 10 minutes longer allowing the beans to thicken up a little more.  (If you like them extra thick you can pop them in the oven at 350 for about 20 to 30 minutes more). 

No comments:

Post a Comment