Monday, January 16, 2012

Pineapple Fried Rice

Ever since leaving New York, I've been craving pineapple fried rice from Gobo. I was going through my pantry the other day, trying to decide what to cook for dinner.  I realized I had a lot of the same ingredients Gobo uses, so I decided to simulate my own version.  I added slaw for crunch and English peas for color.  You could even add in diced avocado or toasted pine nuts.  It turned out to be really simple to make and an absolutely delicious dish.  It could be a side or a complete meal.  I had a block of tofu and had been meaning to make broiled blackened tofu, a recipe which I found in my new favorite cookbook, Appetite for Reduction. So I decided to pair it with the rice.    I can't stress enough how good this meal was.  It's one of my favorite dishes now. It's even great the next day so it makes a quick and easy lunch.

Pineapple Fried Rice

What You Will Need:
1 cup brown rice
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I use low sodium)
1 tablespoon Earth Balance butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 scallions, white parts and green parts, sliced and separated
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 cups cabbage (I used the bagged slaw mix)
1/2 cup english peas (frozen or cooked)
1 tablespoon soy sauce (I use low sodium)
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1/2 cup black eyed peas, cooked
1 8 ounce can diced pineapple, drained, though reserve about a tablespoon of the juice
Salt and pepper, to taste


  1. In a large pot with lid, cook the brown rice in the vegetable broth and butter, according to package directions.
  2. In a large saute pan, saute the garlic and scallion whites in sesame oil, until the scallions become fragrant and begin to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
  3. Add the slaw and english peas.  Toss and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the cooked rice, drizzle the soy sauce on top, and sprinkle on the sesame seeds. Add the cooked black eyed peas and pineapple, with the reserved juice.  Add a few dashes of salt and pepper.  Mix well.  
  4. Remove from heat and sprinkle the scallion greens on top. 




No comments:

Post a Comment