Saturday, January 7, 2012

Kale Salad with Cranberries and Pumpkin Seeds

For me Christmas day has always consisted of grabbing a huge platter style plate, piling it high with carb loaded sides and casseroles, and completely stuffing myself until I absolutely can't eat another bite.  And then there's the leftovers.  This year I decided to change that.  I'm so close to my goal weight so I stuck to my diet, and made a few healthier side dishes.  I had recently bought a new cookbook, Vegan Holiday Kitchen, and came across this recipe for Kale salad.  I made it to go along with my (oh so delicious!) Tofurky.  It turned out beautifully, with the bright green and deep red of the kale and cranberries. But not only that, it also turned out to taste so good. It was even a hit with my other family members who asked me for the recipe!  I've already made it a few more times.  The recipe doesn't call for it, but I like to add shredded cole slaw mix or shredded cabbage for an added crunch.  This is a really beautiful, delicious, and mega healthy salad that is so easy to make and serves as a great lunch or as a side with dinner. 

What You Will Need:
1 large bunch of fresh kale, rinsed and dried
1 bag of shredded cole slaw mix or cabbage
1 teaspoon olive oil
2/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons veganaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice


  1. Strip the kale leaves from the stems.  Chop or tear into bite size pieces and place into a large bowl. Pour about a teaspoon of olive oil into your palms, and then massage it into the kale for a minute or so, until the kale becomes bright green and softens a bit.
  2. Stir in the remaining ingredients and serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment