Friday, September 23, 2011

Red Beans and Rice

Lately I've been trying to introduce more beans and whole grains into my diet, and stay away from pre-packaged, processed meals.  Growing up I was never really a fan of kidney beans, but recently I've discovered a love for them.  I decided to put a vegan spin on a classic Louisiana dish, red beans and rice.  This is so easy to make, and packed with just as much flavor as the traditional version.  I've been eating it for lunch every day, and it's packed with fiber so it keeps me feeling full all afternoon.

Red Beans and Rice

What You Will Need:

2 cups brown rice
1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sausage, sliced (I used Tofurky Italian sausage with sun-dried tomatoes and basil)
1/2 cup tomato sauce (I go with no sodium added)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
pinch or cayenne (or more if you're feeling brave)
salt and pepper, to taste


  1. Cook the brown rice according to its package directions
  2. In a large saute pan, saute the pepper, onion, and garlic in the olive oil until the onions become translucent.  Then add the tomato sauce, beans, oregano, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper and let simmer 10-15 minutes.
  3. Serve on top of the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment