Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Best Banana Nut Bread Ever!

I've always been an early riser.  My morning routine was: brew tea, sit and drink tea, sit and read book, then go for a walk.  I realized I needed more exercise.  Tanner too.  So now I wake up at 7 am, drink my tea and take Tanner for a run in Central Park.  I've never been a breakfast person, but running requires more energy.  And I needed something filling but not heavy on my stomach.  So I started making banana nut muffins.  A lot of banana breads are full of fat and cholesterol, due to the oil, egg, and milk ingredients.  By using olive oil and almond milk I made a healthier alternative, that doesn't skimp on taste at all.  These muffins are so moist and delicious,  they seriously taste like those high fat, oil laden muffins sold at the store.  And they are so easy to make.  Win win!

What You WIll Need:
1 and 1/3 cups flour
1/2 cup sweetener (I use Stevia)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
3/4 cup oat bran
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
3 bananas, mashed (2 will work, but I love that banana flavor)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk (I use almond milk)


  1. Preheat oven to 375.  In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, oat bran, and walnuts.
  2. Add the mashed bananas, oil, vanilla, and milk and mix together gently until just mixed (don't overdo it). 
  3. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of batter into each lightly greased muffin tin, or muffin liner.  
  4. Bake about 18 to 20 minutes, or until the tops start to brown.  
Makes 12.


1 comment:

  1. TOFU TINA!! It's graham. I am digging through your blog. I plan on making the sweet potato & black bean burgers tomorrow. (I am at my inlaws = kitchen) Also, I am intrigued with the Biscuits & Gravy. I think his family might publicly stone me, but if they like it, WIN!

    Question.... have you ever made these muffins with something other than Splenda? (Splenda scares me.) Do you think I could use Agave, or would they end up the consistency of brownies? I talked to a baker in Cali, she uses applesauce. Just curious. I am a terrible baker.

    ReplyDelete